At 01:20 +0200 on 01/08/01, Marten van de Kraats wrote:

>>  >Do these floppy port powered hard disks have fans or are they quiet?
>>
>>This one doesn't have a fan, but it's not particularly quiet either :)
>>
>>That, of course, is the fault of the mechanism, not the enclosure, and
>>would go away if you put a quieter, lower-power mechanism inside it.  The
>>one in there now is the original 30MB Seagate and is only marginally less
>>noisy than a Miniscribe.
>>

>Can you put any scsi drive in these machines? are they 3.5 inch or bigger?

In my StarDrive, there's room for pretty much any 3.5" HH or smaller SCSI
mechanism.  I'd be careful about what I put in there, though, because there
*isn't* a fan, and a drive running faster than 5400RPM might have heat
problems.

I can't speak for all other cases, but I *do* know of two others...

The Apple HD20SC case can fit just about any (3.5" or 5.25") HH SCSI HD
known to man, but it's a bitch to open and it has a fan, so it can be loud.

The old - I mean REALLY old - Rodime cases can fit just about any HH SCSI
HD (3.5" or 5.25") as well and also have fans.  The one Rodime case I saw
had a 9.1GB Barracuda in it hooked up to a B&W G3 and boy, that fan made a
racket.  I have no idea how difficult they are to open.