on 8/29/01 12:08 PM, (Vintage Macs) at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Today I got an email from one "Steven Pinette" entitles "Dialog letter
> june". The text of this letter reads:
>
> "
> Hi! How are you?
>
> I send you this file in order to have your advice
>
> See you later. Thanks
> "
>
> Rather lame English, huh?
>
> Examination of the attached "letter" reveals it to be a file entitled
> "Dialog letter june.doc.pif".  On a MSDOS/Windows PC, the .pif extension
> identifies a file as being a "Program Information File", that is a file that
> provides Windows with instructions to run a given DOS program, and the
> parameters with which to do so.  I'd be willing to bet that in this case,
> the PIF file instructs the PC to run, say "format c: /q y". In another words
> this is undoubtably a trojan of some sort.
>
> The reason I'm mentioning this on the list, is because I use this email
> address exclusively for list correspondence and eBay sales, so there is a
> fair chance that a malicious user could be harvesting email addresses from
> these lists in some lame attempt to be some sort of cYb3r733r0r1s7 just like
> in the newspapers. This thing won't affect Macs, but I'm not the only one
> who uses a PC here so look out.
>
> Anyone who wants a forward of this email is welcome to it.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten it sooner or at least HEARD of it before
now. It's the Sircam virus that everybody's been whining about. I have
gotten it about four times. And I just sit back and feel very smug and
superior, since I use a Mac and am therefore immune.

--
*** Amber Rhea ***
[EMAIL PROTECTED]