Dan, the List Mom, wrote:
>------------------------------
>Subject: List Mom's Pet Peeve
>Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 11:33:20 -0400
>From: Dan Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>My pet peeve is people who quote too much when replying to the list. In
>particular, people who quote the entire original message right down to
>the footer.
How's this? (Just kidding...)
Thanks, Dan. It's one of my pet peeves, too. (Living in Japan, I have
lots of other ones, too ;-)

I've been lurking on this list for a few months now. Hope nobody will
find my sudden "me too" to Dan's post obtrusive...

>Consider this your occasional reminder from the List Mom to be aware of
>how your email program works and be careful to quote selectively when
>replying to the list.

Here's a hint for quoting parts of messages when using Eudora. I just
learned it recently (somebody told me), so it's possible other Eudora
users don't know it either.
        Select the part of the message you want to quote.
        Hold down the Shift key while replying (Command + R or "Reply" button).
        Only the selection will be included in your reply.
This use of the Shift key is pretty intuitive for Mac users, but like
I said, somebody had to teach me this trick so it may be new to some.
Do the other e-mail programs work similarly?

Also, I always use the Option key when replying because I like to
include the "At Star Date 3743 Mr. Sulu wrote:" line; but then you
have to always check to be sure your Cc: line doesn't include extra
addresses (such as a second "<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>"
address identical to the one in the "To:" line) because, as you know,
the Option key is the tool to "Reply to all".

The "Paste as Quotation" feature in Eudora is useful too. (I
discovered this one all by myself !) It also adds the "Star Date"
line automatically. Check it out.

HTH,
Rodney
(in Hayama, Japan)