on 9/20/01 7:00 PM, (Vintage Macs) at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> What kinda world is that? The real world? I live in the same world
> and wouldn't touch the Dark Side with a 10 foot pole. Still, I'm far
> from starving.

I'm likely much closer to starving than you (Marten) or anyone else on this
list, and I STILL wouldn't touch the dark side with a 10 foot - or longer -
pole. This is a vow I have made to myself. For I have seen the dark side,
and lived to tell the tale. A little over a year ago (when I was even
*closer* to starving) I decided that I would swallow my pride and ideals and
start working on PCs for people. (I had originally started Tangerine
Computer Services as a Mac-only outfit; then Chris said he wouldn't mind
working on PCs; then *I* decided to do it too.) It was awful. Every minute I
spent in front of a stupid Wintendo box trying to install modem drivers or
something I just felt like ripping my hair out. -But it gets worse. During a
period of near desperation, I actually began *building* PCs for people. It
felt TERRIBLE. I felt hypocritical, heretical, you name it. It would be
like... Well, I can't think of a good analogy. But it felt so thoroughly
WRONG.

Now Chris and I are in at least a slightly better position, so that I have
rid myself of PCs for GOOD. Any calls Tangerine gets about PCs, Chris
handles. But once I graduate and open a shop, Tangerine is going to be
strictly Mac-only.

I should admit that there is one PC still in the house. It's this stupid
thing we're supposed to be building for a guy who works with Chris's mom.
Chris is handling it solely. The thing is having this ridiculous problem
where it reboots itself at the exact same place during Windows Setup. I
said, "Well, I know how to fix 'spontaneous restart disease'in a compact
Mac, but with the lack of an analog board and everything..."

Anyway. The point of the story is, I refuse to compromise my ideology in
order to make a few more bucks or get ahead in a sector of 'the real world'
that I really want nothing to do with. It would be like an environmentalist
going to work for a power plant. There! An analogy!

(Of course, I don't take it to a ridiculous extreme. I work a 'tech support'
job, where of course I have to support both Macs and PCs. Guess what? Most
of the calls are about PCs! I think you'll all knowingly smile... we all
know why that is! It was the same back when I worked at ResNet at NYU. But I
could go off for hours about help desks and my opinion of them. That's a
whole other thread...)

:) Thanks for putting up with this rant!

--
Amber Rhea   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"An eye for an eye and soon the whole world is blind."
                 - Mahatma Ghandi