Eric Wellington wrote:

> Unfortunately I do not want to invest that much time in the project. I plan to just
>get started on it right away. I've done some soldering, but only wires, not printed
>boards. I feel confident though that I can get it right first try, all I have to do
>is put down a little liquid solder onto the area where the wire touches the pad.

Printed boards aren't much more complicated than just wires. One tip that will prevent
you from having a cold solder joint, and therefore a bad connection, though, is to
have all three elements in contact with the tip of the iron so that they are all a
similar temperature. It's a quick operation, because the tracks or pads of the
board will lift with too much heat. About a second is sufficient. Your joint should be
shiny when done, and less is more.
Good luck with it.
jt