--- Marten van de Kraats <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I wouldn't bother about Netscape 6.x. It is based on
> an older mozilla
> build. I don't know what you find so irritating
> about the user
> interface. It must be some time ago that you last
> tried
> Netscape/Mozilla. The only irritating feature is
> that Side Bar, but
> you can switch that off in the view menu.

I just grabbed Netscape 6.1 last week off their FTP.
The sidebar was the first to go. What I find
irritating
about the UI in Netscape 6 and Mozilla is they went
and moved stuff around to different places from
where it was in 4.7x. It's NOT an improvement. There
are fewer options for configuring it. The navigation
buttons are hogging space on the Location bar along
with a huge Search button, but they seperated the
Home button and put it on the personal link bar.
A print button on the Location bar, hogging yet more
space? I want all of the navigation buttons on one
toolbar and the Location all by itself. If there
have to be Print and Search buttons they can be on the
Navigation bar where I never use them. That way
I can completely hide the personal link bar without
hiding Home. The next annoyance is that there is no
setting in the preferences to select buttons with
icons, text, or icons and text. That is dependent on
the skin selected and each skin has only one type
of button style. I prefer text only, which is why I
like IE Mac better than IE Win.

My preferences go back to when I only had a 640x480
monitor and every pixel of screen space was precious.
IMHO, having all of the navigation buttons in a row
on one bar, all menu commands on (duh) the menubar
and a Location bar that is always the full width
of the browser window is a logical, non-confusing and
clean interface.

A skin editor that would allow total customization
via drag-n-drop of every single button, bar and
menu command would satisfy everyone from types like
me who want "all the ducks in a row" to people who
just aren't happy unless they have to play "hunt
the button".

=====
"The earth swarms with inhabitants. Why then should nature,
which is fruitful to an excess here, be so very barren in
the rest of the planets?" Bernard de Fontenelle, 1686
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
My ICQ# 16024947