on 10/23/01 3:36 PM, Andrew Michael MacTao at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> sstanley wrote:
>> I recently obtained a free Color Mac Classic.  It was previously owned
>> owned by a school.  Installed on it was the schools netwerk program which
>> instantly starts up when you boot.  Unfortunately I cannot bypass this
>> program as I need the "administrators" password to do so.
>>
>> For a solution I want to reinitialize the drive and reinstall OS 7.1.  Does
>> anyone know where I can obtain a free or cheap copy of OS 7.1 (preferably on
>> floppy)?  Any help is appreciated.
>
> I believe you can find a link to download OS 7.1 & the System
> Update 3.0 in the FAQ. The URL is at the footer of any of pickle's
> posts. The only thing it will cost is 11 blank HD floppy disks.
>
> Iechyd Da,
> Andrew

That link only allows you to download the system update.  The OS is not
available from apple.  I don't really need OS 7.1 or else.  Any OS that
would work on a Color Mac Classic would be fine.

I use a G4 for  most of my work which unfortunately has no disk drive so
getting things put on to floppy can be difficult.  I do have a SCSI card and
an external drive that I can connect to both my G4 and Color Mac Classic.
Is it possible to format the external drive, download an Operating System
image to it, then startup the C.M.C. using the external drive as a startup
disk?  Please keep in mind that due to the netwerk program installed I am
unable to do anything to the current system  on the mac, except for copying
files from floppy or using whatever programs that are installed within the
netwerk program.  Thanx