On Monday, April 8, 2002, at 11:25 PM, Marten van de Kraats wrote:

> Thanks. Now, I've got a good reason to buy myself a Quad 840AV :-)

You don't need a good reason - I didn't have one LOL :).

> BTW Is this something that one can do better with newer Macs or are
> those more aimed at digital video?

The newer PCI PowerMacs such as the 7500, 7600, 8100av and 8500 (may be
others too) as well as the AV Beige G3 Towers all have better sampling
rates as they are PPC powered but non have the clever circuitry that the
840av has, it really is a testament to what hardware can be made to do.
Read thu the 840av bits of James Wang's FAQ as well as the articles on
LEM and you'll realise what I mean. The 840av has a dedicated AV
sub-system that lifts all load off of the 68040 CPU (which really
doesn't cope with that sort of stuff too well) and switches it over to a
66.7MHz AT&T Digital Signal Processor and other circuitry. Dashed clever
machine, I'm proud to own one myself, as  I am to own not one but two
SE/30s.

Doing analog video via FireWire is excruciatingly expensive, you need a
$250 breakout box to do it and it's cheaper to buy an 840av, mine was
only £74 after extra RAM :).

--

Mark Benson

Vintage Macs List Nanny
aka
        silicon_valley_pirate_uk (Yahoo! Messenger)
        SilValleyPirate (AOL Instant Messenger)
Visit Flat Pack Macs Online at:
<http://fpm.gotdns.com>
Macintosh LC central