the pickle asked if my friend up the street does  work on a par with the
mac hack
"mercury classic II" on applefritter.

(here's the demo page, so you can all go look at the work, for
reference:)

http://www.applefritter.com/hacks/mercury/index.html

the answer is, yes, chris, he's *that* good.
he has an auto body shop of his own.
he brings mercedes' and lexus' [mercedii and lexii?} over to our back
yard and sets up his compressor and his mask and paint and brings these
poor gouged, wounded  creatures back  to their sleek, beverly hills fine
shine with spray and hand rubbing until they look like they just came
off the showroom floor again.

i've watched him work and asked him one day if he could repaint my bike
frame, and he said sure, any color i wanted..then the bike disappeared.
but on a further day, he said he could pretty much paint anything i
wanted. i was out there with a can of spray paint one night, retouching
a rusted and flaking case  of a computer my kid found, and he came
walking thru on some other errand and saw me, and paused to remind me he
could do that for me on the compressor, if i didn;t want to keep having
to buy cans of spray paint.

so the reminder comes back around, every so often, and I'm incubating
ideas for him.

my buddy fell into the dream with me, earlier today, and got himself all
excited with ideas of custom painting old macs and pc cases as a
novelty he could do down on the beach boardwalk. now he's off ruminating
on acrylics and textures, and patterns and where to get raw materials
and  how to get the word out so people will come look. he viewed the
skinz site with me, and was irritated with what he  felt was the
tameness and predictability of it. he's thinking much more passionate,
dark,  intense expressions.

so maybe we've hit on a new pastime.  arting up old macs. why the hell
not? if they're out of warrantee and saved from the trash, who's to say
we can't?

this is venice! this is expected, here.
and macs are for the right brained, creative types, no?

janet, reporting live from bohemia-by-the-sea

http://community.webtv.net/mensabrains/BADCODE