>> That may all be true, but it won't improve the speed of file serving
>> with system 7.
>
> Yes but in that case System 6 won't do much for it either because it
> ultimately depends on the hardware, a you rightly say. A 68k Mac
> struggles to saturate 10baseT anyway (unless it's a late Quadra, that
> can saturate it just) neither my SE/30 or my LCIII(475) come close.

System 6 makes a whole lot of difference. You won't believe how much
better it is than system 7 at I/O stuff. It is a totally superior server
OS. I can't help it. It is just the truth. System 7 is very inefficient.

>> Mmmm... We are not talking about a file server here. We are obviously
>> talking about some routing device.... In that case you are better of
>> with system 7.1 or higher indeed.
>
> Erm, he whole internet thing in the title was a minor give away wasn't
> it ;).

Yep, but in the text you were constantly talking about a server. The
machine you are using isn't a server. It is a Mac running a software
router.

>> I said: system 7 sucks as a client OS.
>
> I used 7.6.1 as a desktop/client OS for a while on my LCIII(475) before
> I got my Quadra and it was solid there too.

No it wasn't solid. Maybe compared to 7.5.

> You gonna rob a bank for me are you? I can't afford a router, I deem it
> unnecessary as I have all the hardware (with a little purchasing) to do
> it now and can save myself £100s and rescue another IIci and a Rocket
> and put it to good use.

Mmmmm...  I take it you are not the one paying the electricity bill in
your household. Otherwise you might think a bit different about it...

>> 7.6.1 is pretty solid, though not as a rock, not compared to OS X
>> anyway.
>
> That's a bit unfair, comparing it to Unix ;). It's not as solid as 9.1
> if yo want a modern comparison but it's pretty close.

It doesn't even come close to Mac OS 8.1. And if you like, I can also
give you a not so modern comparison...  I happen to know this OS that is
much stabler still than 9.1, but I guess you already know which system
I'm talking about.

Check out the System 6 Heaven:
http://www.euronet.nl/users/mvdk/system_6_heaven.html
Subscribe to the LEM system6 list: