On Wednesday, April 10, 2002, at 08:18 , the pickle wrote:
> At 13:12 +0100 on 10/04/02, Mark Benson wrote:
>> I have definitely mentioned needing ahd having internal http somewhere.
>
> I'm pretty sure you managed to hide it from Eagle and myself if you
> did :-p
>
>> trying to share the internet around this network (the whole point of
>> this thread - see the "internet" bit in the title) which requires
>> TCP/IP
>> does it not?
>
> Yes, but like I said, doesn't matter much if the network isn't
> connected to
> the Internet...

The presence or absence of IP addresses in the absence of Internet
connectivity is indeed inconsequential.  It's as easy to leave them
configured as it is to remove it, I suppose.

However, we were originally saying that *DNS* is not necessary when
Internet connectivity is nonexistent.  That is indeed true: you can use
hosts files on each machine, but it does get tedius.  You can set up any
machine in your network capable of running MacDNS, and allow it to serve
as your internal DNS server.  You can configure your own machine names
in that, and let it proxy to the world when necessary (and connected).
You don't need a separate DNS server just to talk to the world.

Eagle