--- Mark Benson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday, April 11, 2002, at 02:05 PM, the pickle
> wrote:
>
> > Well, with the PowerCache FPU running at 50MHz and
> the onboard FPU
> > running
> > at 16MHz, you'd think so...
>
> Gee, yeh, I forgot about the clock speed :). Anyone
> got a good FPU
> benchmark for the SE/30?

The PowerMath switch doesn't switch between FPUs.
The PowerCache switch enables both the CPU and FPU
if the FPU is present on the accelerator. The
PowerMath
switch (according to my PowerCache manual, which I
can't find right now) only redirects calls from
apps for SANE (someone look that acronym up, please)
math functions normally handled by the CPU to the FPU.

I have no idea how much it speeds up SANE calls and
functions. A benchmark to check would need to seperate
integer, FPU and overall math scores and part of the
test would have to be SANE operations to show any
effect of the PowerMath switch. To really get an
overall picture of what it does the accelerator would
need to be tested with and without an FPU installed
and with and without the PowerMath switch on.

=====
http://www.junkscience.com "All the Junk that's fit to Debunk!"