Could someone please clarify the statement below? I see the words
"adhesion" and "stick" associated with the air moving with the disk
platter. Then, we are told this is NOT caused by friction between the air
and the platter. Pray tell, what physical effect IS responsible? I can
assure you that a smooth, even very smooth platter will drag along the air
adjacent to it, due to skin friction. The air moving with the platter is
typical of what is called a boundary layer. I suspect that this layer is
laminar for a smooth platter. Rougher platters may not work as well because
they may lead to boundary layer transition to turbulent flow, which, on the
small scales we are talking about, may give the heads a relatively rougher
ride. Certainly they would cause more drag, consuming more power.

Thanks, from a puzzled aerodynamicist,

Bob

Message text written by INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"The adhesion effect discovered by Tesla is what allows
hard drives to work. Air sticks to the surface of
the platters and is carried around with them. The
heads have a slope on their leading edge so they can
"surf" on top of the layer of air. This effect is
NOT caused by friction between the air and the
platters. The smoother the platters are, the better
they work. Hard drives cannot work in a vacuum
because there's no air for the heads to fly on.
(And the volatile components in the bearing lube would
gass off.) Any hard drive used on a spacecraft must
be in a container or other sealed space with air
or some sort of gas."