My Reply follows quote. On 01/05/2002 16:34
[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vaughan Bromfield)
>Hello
>
>This is my first post, having been a lurker for a week or three on the
>digest. I'm from Sydney Australia. Lots of questions...
>
>I have a three Macintosh II computers, two won't boot at all which
>suggests the PRAM batteries are flat (one is sans HD and DD disks so
>I've got one to experiment on). I've done some soldering before but am a
>bit worried I'm going to damage the Mac II motherboard if I do the wrong
>thing. Any hints or tips? I dearly love these things -- the Mac II was
>the first Macintosh I ever worked with -- and I'd love to see them
>working again. Is there a way of getting "normal" 3.6 volt batteries to
>work in a elegant fashion?
----------
Well, don't know about "elegant" but I have a ROM01 Apple ][gs that had a
dead PRAM battery. It had one of the 3.6v batteries like most older Macs
but with wire leads (sort of like the old paper wound capacitors). Since
I was a bit leery of soldering directly on the mother board, I clipped
the battery leads close to the battery. Next I clipped the wire leads
from an old capacitor and "tack soldered" them to each end of a 3.6v PRAM
battery, using low temp solder. I then soldered these new leads to the
wire protruding from the mother board, using alligator clips as heat
sinks between the new battery and the mother board. Back in business.

Ken

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.