My Reply follows quote. On 14/06/2002 10:33
[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steven)
>You can hook the Macs up via the printer port with a printer cable.  I know
>AppleTalk will allow you to go between modem ports, but I never tried it.
>
>PhoneNet's are designed for if you will include a printer into the mix, or
>if you need to network more than 2 Mac's.  I have a SyleWriter 2500, using
>PhoneNet (I have a Performa 6320), the Mac would not recognize the printer,
>even though the PhoneNets were properly terminated (I also have a LC II, I
>didn't install the Stylewriter onto that, because I really didn't have the
>HD space (40mb)).
>
>So, yes, the printer cable is a "null modem cable"

I guess I don't understand what you mean by "null modem cable." What does
that have to do with the fact that the "Mac would not recognize the
printer?" A printer on a "PhoneNet Network" would only be seen if it
either was "shared" (and connected to an open serial port on one of the
Macs in the chain) or if it was an "AppleTalk" printer (generally laser
printers with NT in the name or otherwise configured with an AppleTalk
card or device.

>Steven
>
>> Greetings, all.
>>
>> The short version: are printer cables null modem cables?  Can a PhoneNet
>> cable/connector be used as a null modem calbe?
>>
>> The long version:
>>
>> I am interested in networking Macs via their serial ports.  Not for
>> LocalTalk, but for PPP, to a Unix machine (Mac OS X Server).
>>
>> I've been looking around for info on doing this -- looking at the FAQ,
>> searching google, looking at Amber's site and other Mac networking
>> sites.  So far I've come up empty handed.
>>
>> All I am trying to figure out right now is how to hook up two Macs via
>> their serial ports, so they can talk to each other, as over a null modem
>> cable.

Just hook the two Macs together via their Printer Ports, set file sharing
on each, open the Chooser and activate AppleTalk on each and go to work.
Depending on your OS you may have to configure the AppleTalk control
panel as well.

>> Is it possible to use my PhoneNet connectors and cables for this, if I'm
>> just going to have two Macs on the wire?  If not, can I use a printer
>> cable?  (I found a reference that implied that those might be null modem
>> cables.)

For two macs you could use either PhoneNet or a serial cable. See above,
concerning the printer.

>> I have a couple of DIN9-DB25 cables, but no gender changers and no null
>> modem adapters, so no matter what I do I'll likely be buying something
>> or cutting ends off my serial cables.

Huh? I have never heard of a way (doesn't mean there isn't one,
certainly) to get a PC to talk to a Mac over serial connections without
inserting an AppleTalk card into the PC.

>> Once I have the physical link working, I'll putz until I figure out how
>> to get the other stuff running. :)
>>
>> Eagle

An interesting project. Have you been to: <
http://www.mandrake.demon.co.uk/Apple/ltalk/index.html> or to:
<http://www.atpm.com/network/index.html> to do a bit of "reading up?"

Have fun

Ken

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.