--- b e n  w e l l s  |  headwerkx
> one question though, according the codes listed,
> some of those 3 chip SIMMs
> are 4Mb modules - is that possible? Given the other
> 1Mb and 4Mb SIMMs I've
> seen have 8-9 chips on them, I'm wondering if I've
> misinterpreted something.

The 8 or 9 chip SIMMs have each chip one bit "wide".
4 or 5 chip SIMMs have each chip two bits wide and 2
or 3 chip SIMMs have each chip four bits wide.

A one meg 8 chip uses 128 kilobit x 1bit chips.
A one meg 4 chip uses 128 kilobit x 2bit chips.
A one meg 2 chip uses 128 kilobit x 4bit chips.

The second chip is the equivalent of two of the first
and the third is the equivalent of two of the second.

With an odd number of chips, the SIMM uses the parity
bit. With an even number it doesn't use parity.
9 chip parity SIMMs always have all the same chips.
5 and 3 chippers don't need the parity chip to be
the same because that'd be wasted memory. Some parity
SIMMs (other than 9chip) use a cheap little chip that
always returns good parity data even if what's atually
in the RAM isn't what it's supposed to be.

Macs that use 30 or 72 pin SIMMs do not use parity
so don't spend extra for parity SIMMs, unless you
have the real rare US Government IIci that requires
parity SIMMs.

=====
http://www.junkscience.com "All the Junk that's fit to Debunk!"