>  I have a ci with 8 megs ram that seems to have a
>troubled floppy drive. I'd like to swap in a floppy
>drive pulled from a LC II, and I removed the Hard
>Drive which sits upon this plastic partition. The
>floppy drive seems entombed beneath this plastic
>partition, and I'm wondering what's the best way to
>extract it? Looks like just one screw holds it down.
>
>Can I just unscrew it, pull the partition up, and
>slide out the floppy?
>
>Also, the machine came with a '040 Turbo card loose in
>the case, and I'd like to know: 1. how to test it; 2.
>if it adds any more memory; and 3. exactly which is
>the preferred slot to install.
>
>On digest so feel free to reply directly.
>
>MK

Howdee!
By the '040 card do you mean Sonnet's 040 Presto card? If so, that
substantially increases your processing speed (to 55 or 60mhz I
think) and allows you to run up to OS 8.6 on your IIci.  I have a
IIci with 32MB of RAM and a Aante MacCon Ethernet card, and it runs
nicely for a IIci, but not like it would with a Prsto '040 card.  The
'040 card will not give you any more memory (I have 4 *MB sticks you
can buy from me, give you 32MB of RAM), what it does is bumps your
'030 processor up to a '040 like in the Quadra series machines.  I
have one of those for sale too a 605.  As for testing that '040 card,
just plug it in (should fit into the NuBus slot on your IIci's MoBo)
and try her out.  You should see a difference right away, when you
turn the machine on; the boot process should go a little faster, and
apps will run faster.  Take a look at your "About This Macintosh"
from the Apple menu.  You're going to want some more RAM with that
new speed.  As far as clocking it, I know there are tools out there
like Apple's System Profiler that will tell you how fast your machine
is running, buy until you load OS 8 you won't have that.  I don't
have any links off hand to give you for such a program, perhaps
someone else will.

I can sell you the 32MB of RAM for your IIci for $25 shipped.  If you
want a '040 to play with as well, I'll sell you my Quadra 605 with
16MB of RAM, and 512k of VRAM for $15.  Might be kind of cool to have
the two LocalTalked together since the IIci can compete.  You might
even find that your IIci is in some cases faster than the Quadra.
Low End Mac has a section on the '040 machines, which were the last
pre-Power PC line.

As far as getting at that floppy, yes: just un screw the shelf and
pull it out, plug the new floppy in and then put the shelf back in.
Nothing to it!Just put the new floppy drive in exactly as the old one
was, using the same segment of the cables so the SCSI ID doesn't get
mixed up.  You shouldn't have any trouble.

If you need help, or have more questions fell free to write me direct!

Good Luck...Many Happy Macs!

Jason T>
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

A computer without Windows is like a dog without bricks tied to its head.

Friends don't let friends use Windows.