--- Visionary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> William:
>
> Wiping the drive is an option and really, it's a
> matter of routine with me.
> But I'd hoped to be able to get a backup first in
> hopes of rescuing some of
> the software presently on the disk. Thus the need
> for networkability -- to
> do the backup before starting over.

Got another Mac? Plug the HD into it. No second Mac?
Got a PC with a SCSI controller? Plug it into the
PC then setup the Basilisk II 68k Mac emulator. :)
http://gamma.nic.fi/~lpesonen/BasiliskII/ It can
read HFS formatted SCSI hard drives, even boot from
them. Another useful tool is Nero Burning ROM for
Windows ("real" Nero, not the crap new Nero Express!).
Nero can burn direct from an HFS formatted hard drive
to CD-R/RW. I've only tried it with drives of 650meg
or less, formatted as a single partition. Dunno if
it can pick one partition of a drive with more than
one.

There's almost always a way to "rescue" software
from a Mac's hard drive, even if you have to use
a PC to do it! :)

An interesting thing to note with Mac OS 9.x and
older,
they do not support "proper" multisession on
HFS/HFS+ CD-ROMs. Each session on the CD mounts as
a seperate drive on the desktop. I don't know what
they do with a multisession ISO-9660 CD-ROM, never
tried one with a Mac.

=====
http://www.junkscience.com "All the Junk that's fit to Debunk!"