As many of you may already know, Low End Mac's PayPal account was
hijacked over the weekend. Someone using the email address
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" managed to hack my password, add his/her address to the
account, remove my access to the account, and break the bank.

Before we even knew what had happened, the bank had electronically
cleared $1,444 to PayPal -- another $1,844.70 bounced due to insufficient
funds. I have no idea how much more they may have cleared out of my
PayPal account, but the last time I looked we had less than $100 there.

I reported this to PayPal as soon as I learned of the hijacking on
Tuesday morning. They have put a hold on my account while they straighten
this out. My bank is also being very helpful, and we've filed the
paperwork to reverse the $1,444 already sent to PayPal, but that may take
a while.

I'm asking for help from anyone out there who may have the skills to help
track this person down. spils.com is a free email site, so I don't expect
they'll be able to help very much. Google has only turned up two
candidates, neither of who may be the party in question.

If any of you run websites that have logs that track user IDs and IPs,
please take a few minutes to search them for any email address with
"lilbb" -- I suspect that may be the one piece of information crucial to
tracking down this criminal.

If you have any other ideas, please email me at my [EMAIL PROTECTED]
address.

Finally, if you use PayPal, ask yourself how secure your password might
be from someone hacking it. I thought mine was pretty good -- nothing
you'd find in a dictionary -- but it wasn't good enough. If you're
changing your password, think UPPER CASE and lower case letters plus
numbers and punctuation. The new password on my personal PayPal account
(not hacked, thank goodness!) covers the whole spectrum.

--
Dan Knight, president, Cobweb Publishing, Inc.
 <http://cobwebpublishing.com> <http://lowendmac.com>

Unix for stability. Macs for productivity. Windows for solitaire.
In other words, Mac OS X for pretty much everything.