----------
>From: Neal Wingate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Vintage Macs)
>Subject: System 7 and my LC cont..
>Date: Sun, Aug 11, 2002, 3:26 AM
>

> The saga continues. I was up all night trying to install System 7. Funny
> thing is when ever I would try I would always get the same reply. Ole'
> buddy LC kept telling me I need System 7.1 to install System 7 and when
> I tried to install 7.1 it tells me the same thing. Weird. Anyone have
> any clues? I'd really like to get this LC online to use as a very slow
> mail server for private use. Thanks ahead of time. Don't cha' wish LCs
> came with bootable CD drives? :)
>
> Neal
> ---

I solved this tough issue by using the SCSI hard drive cable from a Quadra
900, 950, PPC 800, 840, so it has forked ends for two or more hard drives.
Same for the power cable from a Centris 610, PPC 6100/60 or any Mac with an
internal CD ROM whose cable end matches the LC's to the mother board.

Laying the broken hard drive on the good one, the Y cables connected, SCSI
ID numbers differing, I have simply to boot the good drive, and remove the
finder from the bad drive to the trash, and copy the system folder from the
good one to the bad.

Most elegant and workable solution I've ever used.

JEff