--- Marten van de Kraats <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How fast a cd rom player can a vintage Mac handle? I've a IIfx, a
> IIci, a Quad 700 and a Quad 840av. I've got 2 cd rom players (one
> sits inside the Quad 840av), but I'm not very much inpressed by the
> speed of this beast... The 840av itself is pleasantly speedy, but the
>
> cd player is slow. Copying the contents over ethernet goes faster...
> That just doesn't seem right to me.

The cd-rom's maximum speed will 150 kps times it's rated max.  So if it
is a 4x cd-rom, then it's maximum transfer rate is 600 kilobytes per
second.  10baseT Ethernet is generally has a greater transfer rate than
older cd-roms up to about 8x.  In addition, the Mac file system is
somewhat inefficient, especially on cd-roms.  The OS may need to seek
around the cd-rom, which is very slow (up to 1 second average seek time
on older CD-ROMS).

When you move the contents to the hard drive, then do the copy, you are
drastically decreasing the seek times and probably increasing the
transfer rate from the drive.  At that point, the network connection
would be the bottleneck.

=====