I'm trying to determine the optimum disk cache and virtual memory
settings for my Macintosh IIci running OS 7.6.1.  I am installing a
IIci cache card and 32MB of RAM.  I have an internal 350MB HD and an
external SCSI 1GB Jaz drive.

I'm looking for the best settings for my particular application.  My
IIci is a router, email server, Web server and occasional file server,
however, its primary function is routing.

Some sources suggest allocating 32KB per 1MB of RAM to the disk cache.
This would indicate I should allocate 1MB to the disk cache.  On the
other hand, I have seen benchmarks indicating negligible performance
gains when the disk cache is set higher than 512KB.  I want to increase
disk access performance when serving Web pages in particular.

What about using RAM disk software like AppDisk to create a RAM disk in
which to store my Web pages and images, or even some of the server
applications?  I'm certain I can spare the RAM.  Can you file share and
then mount a RAM disk over a network?  My IIci runs headless and I need
to be able to update the Web pages from my iMac.

What about virtual memory?  I believe Apple recommends turning it on,
even minimally, to decrease the amount of memory used by applications,
but I doubt it would be worth the decrease in performance in this
situation.  I'm not running any memory hungry desktop applications.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks,

Rob