If you're running a PC emulator or card you could try
out ZZT. http://zzt.the-underdogs.org/ The whole
orginal package has been released as freeware.

Since it uses ANSI "graphics" it's sorta like a
fancy nethack type single player game. The site there
has tons of different worlds to download and the
game includes an editor and Object Oriented
Programming
to create your own.

Run through the Tour and Demo worlds first.

I don't recall how well it runs under Win 9x,
but with XP it runs at perfect speed in a window!
(9x can't do _that_!) :) Or you could simply create
a DOS only drive image for your emulator or PC card.

Hmmm, I wonder how tough it would be to clone ZZT on
the Mac so it can use the same world and other fles
as the DOS version? ;) It would be like the clone of
Bolo for Windows and Linux! www.winbolo.com for
both versions. AFAIK, Win/LinBolo still doesn't
network
with Mac Bolo due to the Mac version using UDP on
a ring topology and the Win/Lin versions using TCP/IP
with a client/server method.

If someone could code a server app for Mac Bolo to
"translate" between the two systems....

=====
"Work it harder make it better do it faster makes us stronger.
More than ever hour after our work is never over." Daft Punk