<Probably won't help, actually - the whine is more likely a dying capacitor
on
the analogue board and/or the flyback transformer vibrating at very high
frequency.  The latter might be fixed by inserting a piece of nonconductive
material into the loop of the flyback, but the former will require
replacement
of the failing part.>

Thanks Pickle, you saved me a whole lot of time.

<The 580, incidentally, is unique among the colour AIOs and doesn't share
parts with the earlier 5xx-series Macs.>

Seems like I'm ALWAYS trying to mix apples and oranges and bananas. I have 2
unused LC 520's and the one high-pitched-screaming/whining 580 but they're
not letting me switch parts around to make one useful one.  : ( The 520's
are both missing the cd caddy but I can't switch them out for a tray cd
drive because the connections are flipped. Can't trade logic boards to give
a 520 a 68040 upgrade. Can't even switch the hard drive (SCSI vs IDE).

Laura