On Wednesday, October 16, 2002, at 06:21  pm, the pickle
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> feasible (though probably at a terrible resolution) to
>> put an LCD screen into a compact case along with a G4
>> Mac that supports video out...
>
> 640x480 would work but the electronics are impractically expensive -
> $250 for
> the controller plus another $50 for an LCD that would fit, on top of
> the cost
> of the G4 Cube that you'd have to cannibalise to fit a modern Mac in
> there.

The logic board from a beige G3 will fit in a compact case if mounted
vertically. For those who live in countries where ISO paper sizes are
used (and can thus understand my description), the beige G3 l/b is
pretty much the same size as a sheet of A4. I'm not sure about the B&W
G3 l/b -- still too expensive for hacking as far as I'm concerned. As
the Pickle said, the worst thing about any LCD based project is the
cost or complexity of using anything that isn't available off the
shelf. There are some fantastic suppliers of bits for custom LCD
components but their market is not the hobbyist.

Before the nanny comments, I guess we're getting close to becoming off
topic on this one...

Phil
---
http://www.mandrake.demon.co.uk/Apple/