> >> Most everything.  Startup time, the Finder itself, WWW browsing...
> >
> >I mean what is in it, what changed from 7.1, that is slower.
> >
> >For example, is the OS doing more work and offering more services?
> >
> >Or, is it just the extras that slow things down?
>
> Both.

One way to speed up the general feel of operations in 7.5 (& later) is to
ditch Apple Menu Options. That thing has to create/update an alias every
time you open/close/save a document, necessitating a disk access. The
hierarchical menu also slows things down a lot, especially if you put lots
of items/folders the Apple menu. The worst thing to do is make an alias of
your whole hard drive in the Apple menu, especially on an '030. Linger just
a bit over that line when you scroll down with the mouse, & listen to your
drive churn. There are better hierarchical utilities, as has been noted.

While we're on the subject of disk access, it should be noted that
increasing your Disk Cache under 7.5 +, if you can spare the RAM, is a
better investment to speed things up than in earlier systems. The old rule
of 32k per meg installed doesn't apply any more. Some people say boost it up
as far as the Memory cp will allow you (for some reason, it won't go any
higher than to stop at about 8 megs on most (older) Macs. Even my 8100 with
264 MB. Anybody know why?)

That way, as you go along, you will eventually have the whole System &
Finder, & much of your apps, loaded into RAM! But I get just as good results
with 1 meg, I think.

Also, I might add, contrary to widespread belief, that using Appearance on
an earlier system does not slow anything down substantially. Hey, I've used
it on an LCII without noticeable effect!

[...]

--
Over,

        Jutso