On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 08:56:08AM +0000, /dev/null wrote:

> > Ideally you'd built a headless UNIX machine, a tiny one, that could be
> > tucked out of the way.
> >
> > The small Sun SPARC systems make nice print servers, however, they will
> > process PostScript very slowly.
> >
> > It's really too bad that you can't get a fast/cheap PC that will run
> > headless. Of course, you can ditch the monitor and keyboard once it has
> > been tested and put into production.
>
> would Linux be able to do this?

Yep.  My Linux workstation is currently the print server for my LAN,
as I needed to move things around a bit.  I don't really like that,
as I sometimes reboot this system and experiment with it.

The plan is to (soon) move the print server to a Sun SS5 running NetBSD.
It will also be running Apple file sharing.

The downside is that the Suns are older (110 and 170MHz v8 SPARCS)
so some larger print jobs will be slower.

I could put in a cheap PC as an additional server, but workstations are
more reliable, and they can run headless.  Oh, and the Suns are paid for,
and you can snag them on eBay for nearly nothing, kinda like vintag Mac
systems... :)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]