--- Shannon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I did this about 15 years ago with an Atari 800 by
> swapping print
> ribbons in a dot matrix printer.
>
> It's amazing, looking back, at the things you'd do
> to work around the
> very primitive technology.  Of course, at the time,
> I had little choice.

If you do manage to flush all the black ink out of
three tanks and refill them with Yellow, Magenta
and Cyan, the typical printing order used should be
Yellow, Magenta, Cyan then Black or K. YMCK. That's
the order usually used in four color printing on
an offset press. A problem you'll have if you don't
have the right monochrome printer to try this with
is that many of them use a pigment type black ink
and dye type color inks. You'd need one that uses
a dye type black ink, otherwise the color inks may
just dribble right through the printhead.

I had thought about trying Red Green and Blue inks
on a transparency in a very old HP ThinkJet. :) Why?
To see if it would make a color image when placed
on an overhead projector. The ThinkJet was originally
built for use with equipment like patient monitoring
systems and used an HPIB port. Then HP produced a
serial port version and finally a parallel port
version. The original ThinkJet Black ink would only
work on special ThinkJet paper, then HP developed
a plain paper ink. The only other inks available are
Red, Green and Blue, but I don't know if they're
pigment or dye based.

Print quality "rivaled" that of a decent 9-pin dot
matrix printer, but at a size of about 13~14" wide,
2.5~3" tall and 6~7" deep. And completely silent.
The serial port version will work with a Mac, or at
least it should. (If you like crude looking printouts,
that is. ;-)

=====
"Work it harder make it better do it faster makes us stronger.
More than ever hour after our work is never over." Daft Punk