This message was crossposted to at least three different mailing
lists. Do you want to start at least three different discussions?

>A site like that with both 680x0 and PCI software files (not just links)
>would also be of much interest to me and many other users. A complete
>collection of shareware, freeware, and "vaporware" installers that could
>be collectively assembled and archived for all Mac OS (both 68k and PPC)
>stuff, by the Macintosh Community itself (like so much older MS Windows
>and/or DOS stuff already is on "The Other Side" at many, many sites).

like Microsoft will be happy about that. I don't think so. My guess
is that the most powerfull company in the world is going after these
sites with a vengeance.

>  As APPLE has tossed 25 million+
>non-native G3/G4 machine owners/users (not even counting the number of
>68k CPU machine users), access to many older and/or not so old non OS
>X/Rhapsody/NeXT based softwares is already starting to becoming
>problematical in some areas; Additionally, Since Steve Jobs (unlike Gil
>Amelio) appears to be very hostile to letting sites host APPLE files (my
>MUG "dBug" isn't even allowed to archive most APPLE software installers
>anymore, even the old freeware 68k ones and/or the newer PPC freeware
>ones...), there is an additional "hostile to long-time Macintosh users"
>issue complicating matters

So far Apple didn't remove any material from their ftp-servers. They
did some rearranging but they didn't delete a single file.
They won't do that because they know that quite some people,
including important educational customers need to be able to access
that stuff in order to maintain networks with vintage macs.
There is nothing hostile about Apple not wanting their products on
any other server but their own. These programs are their creations.
They hold the copyright. They have the right to do with them what
they please.  I am happy that they do share all that old stuff with
us. There are some other companies out there that do not share older
software. One of them was founded by a certain B. Gates.
It also isn't a hostile move on their part to 'toss' 25 million+
users of hardware that is not compatible with OS X. Just like intel
and microsoft, apple has to move on.  And what is so bad about a IIci
, a 840av or some old powermac that cannot handle a  G3 upgrade card
not being able to run OS X?
The fact that a computer cannot run the latest and greatest OS
doesn't mean that it has become useless... There is still tons of
software that you can run on them...  That is what these lists
(compactmac, vintage mac and system 6) are all about. Keeping these
macs in business...

Marten

Check out the System 6 Heaven:
http://www.euronet.nl/users/mvdk/system_6_heaven.html