On Tuesday, November 12, 2002, at 01:20  PM, Terry Mathews wrote:

> A lot of similar upgrades in the Mac world would have the CPU and RAM
> on
> their own circuit board and that contraption would plug into the CPU
> socket.
> Tricky stuff, but would allow faster RAM access, which is the only
> thing an
> Amiga would be lacking AFAIK.

Many of the Amiga expansion cards had just that - my old A1200 (which
eventually suffered from drinking most of a cup of coffee while it was
turned on - oops!) had a 50Mhz 030 card, with its own RAM and own scsi
controller. About the only thing of much consequence running at the old
original speed was the graphics system, which was a pity - but it was
my web machine for 7 years :). I'm sure if Apple folded just before
powermacs were released, we'd have dozens of independent manufacturers
putting out 060 cards with ROM patches, perhaps coldfire, or something
different.

Then I got my first mac... y'all know what happens then :)

dana
--
http://www.danamania.com/