Something I just learnt today about HFS+ as setup
by OS 8.1. It's actually a disk image formatted
to HFS+ residing on an HFS formatted drive. That's
how you can see the "Where have all my files gone?"
file when you plug the drive into a Mac not running
OS 8.1 or higher.

That's similar to how a compressed volume works in
Windows, except a compressed FAT32 volume is sitting
on a FAT32 partition, not FAT16. ;)

Do any 3rd party or later Apple formatters do a "pure"
HFS+ format? One that you'll see nothing or get the
prompt to initialize the drive when it's connected
to an older Mac or one not running OS 8.1 or higher?

I've never tried it with any HFS+ drive except one
that was formatted with 8.1 on a G3 and I hooked it
up to my Power IIci running 7.6.1. I told my friend
he could delete whatever was on it before he put the
stuff he downloaded for me on it. So he _formatted_
it. Fortunately the OS 8.1 PPC boot disk requires no
enabler to boot a 68k with a PPC upgrade and can
mount HFS+ volumes. :)

=====
"Truth is, after all, a stronger edifice than a lie.  An empire may be built on lies,
but it only takes a single truth to crumble it." Jumba the Wise Lizard