on 12/13/02 3:30 AM, Ted Parks wrote:

>I need Java enabled on some version of Netscape or another browser that will
>run on an LC580. When I download Netscape 3.04 from Gamba's web page, it
>leaves Java out, as best I can tell, when it installs.

Netscape 3 for the Mac includes an early and slow version of Java for 68K
and PPC. It installs a "Java_30" or "Java_301" file somewhere, and you
may have to enable Java in Options/Network Preferences/Languages, then
quit and launch Netscape again. You will see "initializing java" in the
splash screen. In Netscape 4 they restricted Java to PPC only. 4.08 was
the last 68K netscape.

I'm pretty sure that iCab does not allow any Java in their 68K version,
even if you do have Apple's last MRJ before it went PPC only. That early
Apple Java did not work very well, although the current PPC version is
quite good.

Explorer has had some Java capability since version 3. They shipped Java
implementations from Metrowerks and Microsoft and eventually allowed you
to choose Apple's MRJ if you installed it separately. But MS changed
their java around without changing the Explorer version number (no
kidding!), so I can't tell you what version to look for. Also, I can't
remember the level of 68K support.

Many Java applets are implemented in such a way that they don't run well
on 68K and often not on Mac at all. For a simple Java applet that will
probably run on anything, visit the BBC news page.

>You know, I'd like for one of these people claiming Java working
>on a 68K to actually try to use any modern Java applet with it.

I can still demo the Java stuff I developed years ago on my PB 190 in
Navigator 3.03. It is not modern and not very practical but definitely
works on the 68040.