On Saturday, Dec 28, 2002, at 22:44 Europe/London, Scott Holder wrote:

The Atari ST was a great platform when you compare it to the likes of a Mac
Plus and older, maybe through the Mac IIs (as it was capable of quite nice
color and sound).
Yes. Very true.

Unfortunately, it just got left behind. I'm a big fan of
the Atari 8-bits and only just got my first ST (a Mega-ST4) at a thrift
shop lately.
Wow. How much was that? I just bought an Amiga 1200 for £50 on ebay. I have spent more than that upgrading it so far and I still have to pay for the 040 card I'm buying for it :).

Even as an Atari zealot of sorts, it's hard to compare the ST
to the Amiga because of what people did with the Amiga. I know far more
people using Amigas as their everyday computers with PCI, Voodoo3s, etc
than I do STers.
As a regular visitor to the Amiga.org IRC chat room I know lots of people with 1200s in tower cases with phat PCI Mediator boards, PPC cards and Voodoo3 cards running Picasso96'd AmigaOS 3.9 on huge 19" monitors.

<blatant on-topic diversion> I might even try finding a Magic Sac or
similar cart for it to see what it'll do with MacOS </botd>
I will try whipping up a Mac partition on my A1200 and installing Shapeshifter once I have it setup right. Should be a scream :)

--
Mark Benson

AIM - SilValleyPirate
Visit FlatPackMacs online: <http://fpm.gotdns.com>

"Never send a human to do a machine's job."
-The Matrix