At 3:50 PM -0800 1/13/2003, Ted Parks wrote:
>The problem with the Centris is not the mic, as I can determine, but
>using the mic jack for input. The input is hotter than the LC580 or my
>PB3400, for that matter.

The PB3400 and LC580 are line level (1V) and the C650 is Mic Level
(10mV).  The microphone designed to be used with the PB3400 and LC580
are PlainTalk mics which include a preamplifier in them that raises
the mic level to line level.  The C650 uses the Omni mic which is a
straight mic level output.  To record from a line level device to the
PB3400 or LC580 you just need a straight through audio cable.  To
record from a line level device to the C650 you need an attenuating
patch cable.

>I think it was the Pickle who suggested I try recording a new Alert
>sound to see if it, too, was hotter. Does the Centris have a built-in
>mic? I heard nothing when I tried recording a new Alert.

The C650 uses an external mic only.

>Is there software for converting an analog audio signal from a cassette
>recorder into MP3s for a 68K machine? Maybe I need a more sophisticated
>program for inputting sound.

I doubt it.  Trying to do any MP3 work on a 68K machine is pushing it
at best.  MP3 encoding is more processor intensive than decoding so I
don't think you'll find much if anything to do it.  And for that
matter you probably won't want to.  You certainly won't be able to do
real-time encoding.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA