> On Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003, at 20:25 Europe/London, Bill Judson wrote:
>
> > I still have it, but
> > it's a 475 now -- soon to be with FPU -- wish me luck not breaking any
> > pins!
>
> The pins are pretty soft on Motorola 040 chips. I bent one over double
> on itself last night trying to fit it to one of my crop of LCs and
> managed to *carefully* straighten it out again using a razor blade and
> a pari if fine tipped plairs. I do have a full 040 in my Quadra 805
> hack now though, so it really is a Quadra now :)
>
> --
> Mark Benson

I did an LC040-to-full-FPU-040 upgrade on my Performa 400 series machine
yestereve, & some of the pins got bent a lttle on my pull, as well as the
1 I was putting in, in the course of the makeover. Someone, I forget who,
on these lists suggests using the tip of a leadless mechanical pencil to
straighten the pins, placing it around the pin & just twisting the pencil
slightly in the needed direction.

The operation went smoothly otherwise, although I got a brief panic attack
when the machine wouldn't light up the monitor, although there was a
chime.

I quickly realized that I had allowed the PRAM batt to go soft,
fortunately that's all it was. Whew!

(Funny, cuz I had left the 475 unused, but plugged in all this
winter...some people say that that doesn't keep the batt charged, since
the LCs don't have soft power-on, so maybe that's true....)

--
Over,

        Jutso