In regards to connecting via IP a IIsi, back when I was trying to
figure out how to get my IIsi to be able to connect to my eMac running
OS X, I installed and tested many configurations and versions of
networking CPs and extensions on the IIsi.

The IIsi had system 7.1, with update 3, OT 1.1.2, and the following
"extras";
                        Appearance CP 1.0.3             (control panels)

                        Appearance ex 1.0.2             (extensions)
                        CFM-68k Runtime Enabler 4.0
                        Clipping ex 7.1.4
                        Dragging Enabler
                        Mac Drag and Drop ex 1.1
                        Thread Manager 2.1

The final configuration of networking related software was;
                        AppleTalk 58.1.7  (in the system folder)

                        AppleTalk 1.1   (control panels)
                        Sharing Setup 7.1
                        TCP/IP  1.1.2
                        Users & Groups 7.1

                        AppleShare 3.7.4        (extensions)
                        EtherTalk Phase 2  2.5.7
                        EtherTalk Prep  1.0.4
                        File Sharing Extension 7.6.2

With this installation, I was able to connect to the eMac either via
appletalk or TCP/IP.
(via appletalk needing the program SharePoints on the eMac to enable
the use of AppleTalk sharing)

I was not able to get AppleShare 3.8.3 to function with OS 7.1, there
is something in 7.5.x and up that is needed.

This setup worked reasonable well, but I did encounter problems when
attempting to transfer folders containing large numbers of files (as I
recall, around 500 or more).  The IIsi would crash and lock up every
time.  Smaller numbers, even large single files, no problem.

The other problem I encountered was when I set up a shared folder on
the eMac hard drive, and connected to it from the IIsi.  Because the
hard drive on the eMac is 60 gigabytes, and system 7.1 has a 2 gig
limit on the size of hard drives (ok, volumes), the size of the shared
folder and the amount of disk space used as seen from the IIsi was not
even remotely close to being correct (I think the problem is the number
of bytes used in 7.1 to store such values, and the greater number of
bytes used in later system versions simply overrun the variable space).
In any case, at some point the amount of space used would appear to the
IIsi as more than the size of the drive, and it would not write any
more data to the eMac.  It would still read files from it.  I'm not
sure how to get around this other than by partitioning the eMac drive
into small chunks, and this sort of defeats the value of a large drive.
  For this reason alone, I think that you are better off to go ahead and
move up to 7.5.5 or even 7.6.1.  Otherwise, 7.1 with the extras is
pretty much equivalent to 7.5.5 in terms of what it will run.

Bob