--- Ted Parks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> After connecting both my Centris 650 and 7100/80 to
> DSL by ethernet, the
> Centris seems to load web pages faster. The 7100/80
> has only 16 megs of RAM,
> while the Centris has about a 100. Also, the 7100 is
> connected to ethernet through a transceiver.
>
> My questions:
> 1) How much difference does the amount of RAM make
> in how quickly a machine
> loads web pages, in particular, and how fast it runs
> other common
> applications, in general? If both the Centris and
> the 7100/80 had equal RAM,
> would the 7100 be noticeably faster?

The amount of RAM any computer has makes a big
difference in how fast they can work. 16megs is
just choking down the 7100's capabilities. Real RAM
is faster than using virtual memory on the hard drive.
With only 16 megs RAM and virtual memory on, when
the browser runs out of space in memory to put what's
on the page it has to write it to the swap space on
the hard drive. Most likely on that system the only
part of the page in RAM is what's currently displayed
in the browser window.

What System/Mac OS versions are on those two?

=====
Subatomic conspiracy group: The Free Mesons.
Yes, they do drink Lepton Tea.
(There are very few good jokes in quantum physics.)