At 3:09 PM -0500 2/7/2003, Robert Gray wrote:
>At 23:59:55 -0800 on 2/6/03, Clark Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Macs that I measured (21 models)  take between 14 and 87 watts.
>>
>>For those who care, the measurements I've been quoting are ones
>>I've done myself using a watt meter.  This is different than
>>measuring the current and multiplying by the voltage, what is know as
>>VA or Volt-Amperes.
>
>FWIW, if the measurements are accurate, the VA calculation should
>equal the wattage consumption unless, of course, you have a 1/2
>horsepower fan inside.   ;-)   The electric power factor won't vary
>significantly from unity.

Yeah, actually it does vary a lot from unity.  Switching power
supplies are that way unless they are specifically designed with
power factor correction (usually to avoid overcurrent tripping the
mains).  In my data the power factor for Macs varied from 61 to 75%.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA