On Saturday, Feb 8, 2003, at 02:27 Europe/London, Scott Holder wrote:

> At 12:54 AM 2/8/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>> We need to get the fun back into this list. ...
>> So tell us, why do you like flat pack macs so much? Do you have
>> experience with other kinds of Macs?
>>
>> Marten
>
> I love them because they're reasonably capable machines, but are so
> tiny
> and tuck away in the corner even when in use.

I have 8 475s in a pile in my room waiting for attention, along with
other lesser LCs. I love em because they are dirt cheap and the 475s go
on and on and on and on. I have never had a 475 die outright on me. I
now have 3 full 040 LC machines, my 805 hack, a Performa 475 that is in
great condition under all the cruft, and a 475 that has been tricked
out with 64MB RAM and a 500MB hard disk.

> I have two web servers on
> LC475s (Well, one is a Quadra 605... same thing) and I used to love the
> bug-eyed look people would give them when I'd lift it up with one hand
> and
> say "And this is my web server".

I am seriously thinking of putting up a mirror of FPM on a Flat Pack
Mac. I am moving the main site onto my new hosting package some time in
the coming months (I have a .com at last!!) and I will keep the
fpm.gotdns.com name and point it to my network mirror.

> Not only that, but I quite literally found it on the side of the road.

I got 14 LCs, a IIcx, a 660av and a 7100 LoBo (now in the IIcx) all for
GBP40 (which was mostly for the 660av) + GBP13.50 carriage.

> To slightly mangle an old adage, "Never trust a server you can't lift"
> ;)

's no good. I cant help myself, I still love that quote and how it
applies so well to the Mac:

"Did I ever tell you about the time I met an IBM mainframe? Never trust
a computer you can't lift!"

Brilliant :)

--
Mark Benson

AIM - SilValleyPirate
Visit FlatPackMacs online: <http://fpm.gotdns.com>
Vintage Macs List Nanny

"Never send a human to do a machine's job."
                                -The Matrix