--- Ray Bearfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I see a number of Asante hubs on eBay that look like
> they could be had for
> anywhere from $6 up to $20 (including shipping
> charges).
>
> Am I correct in assuming that a hub like the Asante
> FH10T8, which is not a
> 10/100 sensing hub, would work? Or is the number of
> ports an issue?

Number of ports is not an issue unless you have enough
computers plugged in and downloading or transferring
so many files it saturates the available bandwidth.
All data incoming to a hub on any port is "broadcast"
to all the other ports. It's up to the "client" to
sift through the datastream and pick out which packets
are meant for it.

Switches direct the incoming data packets to the one
port where the computer they're assigned to is
connected. There is much less traffic on the network
when switches are used and overall speed is better
than hubs when there are several computers
transferring
data at the same time. Doesn't mean that packets don't
get dropped or misdirected or collide, just happens a
whole lot less than with hubs.

Hubs are half duplex, like the majority of NuBus and
LC ethernet cards. Putting the 10 megabit hub in
between the IIci and the fancy router will ensure that
port detects that what's plugged in is 10 megabit,
half duplex.

Some of the Asante cards that predate the 100 megabit
standard do not properly identify their capabilities
so many 10/100 hubs etc try to establish a 100meg,
full duplex connection by default.

Check your router's documentation to see if the
ethernet ports can be manually set individually.
Some 10/100 switches and routers have problems with
some 100meg devices hogging bandwidth when the ports
are set to automatic detection.

=====
"If all the young people in America were to act as you intend to act, the country
would be defenseless and easily delivered into slavery." Albert Einstein in a letter
to a pacifist, 1941.