--- Darren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is <> some sort of mac thing? Before joining this
> list I'd never seen
> this ugly hack, well that's what it looks like.

Not a Mac thing. <> brackets are used in HTML to
denote the start and end of things like commands and
URLs and pointers to images and other files.

E-mail clients _should_ be written to know all the
URL beginnings like http:// ftp:// https:// etc
and if there's a < in front of that then *everything*
until the first > (but NOT the >!) should be treated
as a URL/link that must not ever be broken by
inserting
a carriage return in the middle of it.

But it appears that many programmers who work on
certain e-mail clients that support using HTML in
e-mail are lacking in their knowledge of HTML, at
least in certain areas.

'Course Microsoft has been trying to rewrite how
HTML is supposed to work since they first introduced
Internet Explorer. ;P IE has long accepted such
dumb errors like unclosed commands. For instance
a <table> command not followed with a </table> to
close it will render in IE but not in Netscape prior
to version 6. Netscape followed the rules. Microsoft
has deliberately coded IE with hacks to work around
such common HTML errors, thus there are tons of
people doing HTML that is full of errors but still
works somewhat with IE, so they think they're doing
it right. Then they get the attitude that you should
just use IE since their website works fine with it.

So instead of sticking to the rules, Netscape and
some other browsers have bloated their code with
hacks similar to what IE has always had to work
around the same HTML errors. I'd much rather web
"masters" learn how to not make such mistakes so
they can become real Webmasters. :)

=====
"If all the young people in America were to act as you intend to act, the country
would be defenseless and easily delivered into slavery." Albert Einstein in a letter
to a pacifist, 1941.