>Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:26:56 -0500
>From: Fletch Brendan Good <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: LC Road Apple; Was: Re: new 68k for Dad
>
>>Anyway, don't dishonor the Mac II, which was a fine machine for its
>>day, by saying that the LC is a close relative. :-)
>
>OK, OK, I see that I deserved that, at least to some extent, for
>having made the mistake of closely comparing the LC and the II.

That wasn't meant to be so harsh towards you, that you had to
"deserve that" in order for me to write it.   Any harshness in that
was meant for Apple.  My apologies if you feel like you got splashed
by my vitriol balloon.

>  I was
>paraphrasing Everymac.com and some other website (Apple Museum, Apple
>History?) when I said that,

>for some reason I was under the mistaken  impression

It's hard to keep all that stuff straight if you weren't reading the
Mac magazines back in the early 90s.

>But hey, Trag, c'mon dude! It wasn't like I was trying to recommend
>the LC to someone who needs to run major apps on System 7 with a lot
>of RAM, etc! {-D

Your recommendation was a fine one.  I'm sorry if I seemed to dis
your recommendation.   I was only aiming at the comparison of the two
machines.

>It was never the kind of machine that would please us
>power users, but they weren't aiming for us when they made it. God
>knows how many schools had those things. Even colleges- one of the
>ones I picked up came from UNC-Greensboro's Physics and Astronomy
>Department.

My objection isn't that Apple made machines that won't please power
users.  That is certainly okay as far as it goes.  My objection is
that Apple built machines that sucked a lot more than they had to for
the same cost in parts.   A simple change to the LC would be to get
rid of the memory limitation.   That would not increase the cost.
Adding a 32 bit data path might have cost a bit more, especially if
it required more board real estate, but it might not have as well.
The increment would probably have been small, unless it pushed the
ASIC complexity over some edge that took it to a larger die size.

>I know I tend to make a habit out of defending the real low-level
>machines, usually the ones in pizza boxes (Mark Benson, little help
>here!) I use two 6100s that I'm very loyal to-

No need to be defensive.   I think the 6100 is a great machine.   But
the 6100 is based on a philosophy which would have served the LC
well.  The 6100 is a 7100 is an 8100.    They all use exactly the
same chip set and ROM (with some revision changes along the way and
the 8100 may have used a slightly different ROM).   Apple just hacked
a few things off to make the 7100 and the 6100.   If they had built
the LC from a IIci in the same way, and maybe updated the on-board
video and added sound-in along the way, it would have been a fine
machine.

Of the pizza boxes, I like the 6100, Q605 (and all its relatives) and
the LCIII.   I have a Q605 and all the parts for a 6100...except all
my 6100 MBs have cracked CPUs.   That's my ultimate soldering
project.  :-)  I have a IIci so there's not much point in getting an
LCIII.

>All I was saying was, for what Oob's dad wants to do, I think a 20MHz
>LC with 10MB of RAM running System 6 should be sufficient, and save
>him the trouble of paying shipping for a larger machine, or trying to
>track one down locally.

I agree completely.  As I mentioned above, I was merely objecting to
a technicality.

Jeff Walther