On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 08:31 PM, John Hixson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Can anyone suggest what might be going on with my newly acquired IIfx? When
I try to start it by pressing the rear power button, it clicks on and
immediately trips off (per PS green light). If I hold the button in, it
cycles on and off at about 1cps. If I try to start from the keyboard, it
comes on (with chime) and stays on for a second or two and then trips off.
If I hold in the power/cmd/cont keys, it stays on but doesn't seem to make
any immediate additional progress toward booting. (I didn't hold this too
long for fear of frying something.) I have completely removed the HDD, both
floppy drives, all NuBus cards, all RAM, and even the ROM SIMM with no
change whatsoever in the startup behavior. Both batteries test good. Any
advice or suggestion would be highly appreciated. Thanks. John Hixson

It sounds like the motherboard batteries may be dead. If you have a voltmeter handy, check the readings -- good batteries read 3.6v. Another common fault with the IIfx is corrosion or badly seating ROM SIMM sockets.

Phil
---
http://www.mandrake.demon.co.uk/Apple/