i just decided the heck with the hub for now and wired a crossover cable direct from the mac to the pc, and then limited the pc to 10mbps. the link light for each card is now lit, but i am still having no luck communication-wise.

darren gave me the following settings for the mac:

Mactpc = 192.168.0.x, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.1, dns 192.168.0.1, domain gotocrystal.net.
x = a number between 2 and 254, with alittle room left.
Open transport dhcp, router 192.168.0.1, dns 192.168.0.1, starting domain gotocrystal.net

are there any suggestions for the pc end? should i be using certain protocols, and setting my workgroup to specific settings?

also, is there a way to make sure the mac is broadcasting-- if windows you can look in network neighborhood and see the computer you are on