Is this a Vintage list question?

The printer is on topic, the computer not.

Oh well .....

I just picked up one of these printers. Looks smart, came with s/w (version 1.0) and the users guide.

So I tried to use it with my Performa 6360 under OS 9.1 (yes, this is not very vintage but its the model I have at work at the moment). I hooked it to the modem port (com slot modem has been removed).

It works - in a fashion. I printed the desktop. I printed a .jpg picture (took ages!!) BUT I can't get the thing to print a SimpleText document. I keep getting "out of memory" messages. So I had it open and added a 4Mbyte SIMM (maxing it out at 5.5Mbyte!!). Still no good.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it broke or just a piece of cr*p? I have a LW IIg at home that even prints from my PB G4 under OSX (via ethernet). Can I use a bigger SIMM (like 16Mbyte)?

The reason why the select 310 won't work with an unmodified OS X is because it only talks postscript level 1, the Laserwrite IIg - my favourite printer, a beast that dates from the days of the IIci and the IIfx but still is supported by modern operating systems - talks postscript level 2 and can therefore work with OS X.
Although some years older, the IIg is faster than the select 310. The IIg has a 25 Mhz 68030, the select 310 a 7.25 Mhz AMD . It also can hold a lot more memory.

The select 310 should be compatible with any OS from 6 to 9.2.

As to why you're having this problem: seems like a memory problem on your performa (which is an off topic machine by the way!). It is not very suprising that you problems with that machine considering you are running 9.1 on that slow beast. Maybe you could disable the desktop printing software and try print the old fashioned way. Desktop printing eats memory.
Of course it would be best to try the printer on a IIci or IIfx and come back to us when you are still having these problems.

Would I have better luck with an OS 6 Mac?

One will always have better luck with an OS 6 Mac :-) System 6 prints a helluva lot faster than OS X.

Marten
--
Vintage Macs list nanny