John,

According to the Maxtor site, Termination Power ensures a sufficient level
of power on the bus. It is recommended that the last device installed have
this enabled. It states that all other devices between the host and the last
device have this turned off.
Active termination is more robust than passive so that should be on.
Forcing SCSI 1 should not help but won't hurt either. From what I know, SCSI
is an earlier SCSI speed and requires passive termination.
When I have been messing around with non-Apple drives, I always add it to
the existing SCSI bus as a new ID first to make sure it shows up. That takes
care of the termination issue at least. Then I can format it live and make
it bootable. When I connect it up alone, only the termination issues are
left.
Good luck!
Winston