>   Try plugging head phones into the rear jack.   If that
> gives you sound, then the most likely problem is that
> there is a bent contact in the sound jack.   When the
> headphones are plugged in, the internal speaker is
> disabled.  This is accomplished with a little metal
> contact inside the speaker jack which is pushed when
> headphones are plugged in.  If that metal contact is
> permanently bent, then the internal speaker would be
> disabled as long as it remains in that condition.
>
> If the headphones do not work, then you have some other
> motherboard issue with which I am not familiar.

There's a good idea that I should have thought of on my
own.  I will try that before anything else, as I'm guessing
it's the easiest. I did look at the headphone jack to see
if there was a plug in it (I keep just a headphone plug
with no wires with my PowerBook, so I can use it without
sound when needed) but that's as far as i went.

Thanks,

J White