Scott Holder wrote:

Most people agree that BSD is better for "serious" boxes but Linux has somewhat wider support and knowledge, plus Debian is pretty popular in and of itself with lots of documentation.

I need to try MacBSD on a box one of these days. I just got this nice Quadra 610 system for $10 from a thrift store too..

http://www.barrybrown.us/altOS.html is missing one or more but its a good line up of what will work on both ppc and 68k.

Kinda like squeak myself.

http://www.macunix.net:443/ was a good link for 68k unix info but its content may be a little dated, you may find something interesting.