on 10/10/03 7:44 PM, Ray Fryer at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello. I recently picked up a Mac IIcx and I was just playing around
> with it. Someone gave me a bag of 30pin simms to up the memory but
> after doing so my memory shows up as 32+mb and the system shows up as
> 26+mb. I've tried putting back the original memory but now it shows
> up less that what was; which was 5mb originally, now it shows up as
> 2mb. I tried removing the battery but Apple sure did a good job of
> making it difficult to get to. I have a pdf Mac IIcx service manual
> but it isn't clear how to remove that power supply. It says to make
> sure it is unlatched but I don't see any latch. But then, I don't
> know if removing the battery will help anyway. I zapped the pram,
> rebuilt desktop but it didn't help. Any ideas?

Without 32 bit memory addressing, the System shows up as "eating" huge
chunks of RAM it actually doesn't.

You can try installing Mode 32. Be careful it's NOT the one for System 7.5,
unless you're running 7.5. OR, if you already have it, go to the memory
control panel and turn it on and restart the Mac.

Jeff