On Thursday, November 13, 2003, at 12:05PM, Marcin Wichary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Thanks for your other suggestions. I just looked inside my LC II.
>
>Everything looks positively clean and nice there. Not much
>dust, no leaking batteries, everything looking good.
>However, in the top left corner of the case (above the processor
>and next to the big white slot), in the place with all the
>little chips and capacitors, there's some sort of sticky
>substance on everything (just a little bit of it) and all solders
>look significantly less shiny than in the other parts of the
>board. Can this be the culprit?

Failed Electrolytic Caps often manifest themselves in this way. There is a problem I
have had and others have reported with the Audio section (behind the audio connectors
of the rear panel) capacitors failing and leaking on that part of the board. I have 2
dead LCII boards that work fine apart form the audio that are just the same as you
describe. I can't see how this could kill the whole board, however.

>There's a VRAM stick inserted in the slot (reinserted it),
>but the two DRAM slots next to it are empty. However, on
>the opposite side there are eight chips (UI2-UI9) labeled DRAM.
>Is it the onboard memory or the Mac is simply memoryless now?

All LCs have a soldered bank of DRAM. LCs have 2 MB, all others have 4 MB.

>The video plug end from the monitor (the one you attach to
>the computer) only has 6 pins -- 5 in the top row and one
>in the bottom.

It's usual for video cables to have missing pins, but these are usually evident from a
hole in the plastic matrix the pins are mounted in in the plug. Do any look like they
have been bent or broken?

>Next to the good-looking battery there are six pins labeled A20 or A21... what are
>those for?
>(resetting battery?)

There are 4 large contacts for the fan and speaker assembly on some LCII boads, also
oin that edge somewher is what I always refer to as the 'debug strip', which is a line
of contacts Apple used on the production line to test boards prior to assembly. Most
68k Macs have these somewhere. For instance they are on the front edge of an SE/30
board in front of the ROM SIMM.

>Tried to launch it with HDD/floppy/monitor/input devices
>detached -- still no luck.

Sounds like a corpse :-(

>What now...?

Tell me, does your LCII have a separate fan and speaker or is it assembled into a
plastic frame that sits over 4 contacts on the board?

If it has a separate fan and speaker that clip to the base independantly the best plan
is to find an LCIII or Quadra 605
--
Mark Benson

http://homepage.mac.com/markbenson